Broiler Poultry Farming complete guide
In this article, we have written complete information about how to start broiler poultry farming. In this we have given complete information about broiler poultry farming, shed construction, chick care, vaccination, brooding.
Today broiler farming has emerged as a well-developed business in India. Broiler poultry farming is a business to earn maximum money in less time. This can be done by small farmers even in small villages, they just need the right guide. First, it is important to know – what is a broiler chicken?
What is Broiler Chicken?
Broiler poultry is raised for meat. The rooster or hen of broiler species is 40 grams after hatching, which after feeding properly, they become about 1.5 kg to 2 kg in 6 weeks.
How to make a shed for a broiler farm?
Selection of the place for the form
- The place should be flat and at some height so that the rainwater does not accumulate in the form.
- Do not be too far from the main road so that people and vehicles can move properly.
- Electricity and water facility should be properly available.
- Chickens, broiler feed, medicines, vaccines, etc. are easily available.
- There should also be a market for selling broiler chicken.
Construction of shed for farm
- The shed should always be in the east-west direction and the lattice side of the shed should be in north-south so that the air can flow properly from inside the shed, and the sunray does not get much inside.
- You can keep the width of the shed 30-35 feet and the length as per the requirement.
- The floor of the shed should be solid.
- The lattice sidewall on either side of the shed should be only 6 inches high from the floor.
- The roof of the shed should be made of cement asbestos sheet and there should also be space for ventilation in between. Keep the sheet 3 feet long on both sides so that the rainwater can not be shed shower.
- The side height of the shed should be 8-10 feet from the floor and the center height should be 14-15 feet from the floor.
- There should be a proper arrangement of electric bulbs, chicken feed and water utensils, water tank inside the shed.
- Make one shed at a distance from the other shed. If you want, you can also divide the same tall shed by making a wall in equal parts.
Feeders and drinkers for broiler farm
It is very important to have at least 3 water and 3-grain pots for every 100 chicks.
You can use any type of feed and water pot, manual or automatic. Manual vessels are easy to clean but there is some difficulty in giving water, but automatic vessels have a pipe system through which the water from the tank is filled directly into the water vessel.
Sawdust Management of Litter
For sawdust or litter, you can use wood powder, groundnut peel, or paddy husk.
Before the chicks hatch, it is necessary to lay a 3-4 inch thick layer of litter on the floor. The litter should be completely new and there should be no contamination in it.
Brooding in chicken farm
Brooding is most important for the proper development of chicks. The entire business of a broiler farm depends entirely on brooding. If there is a mistake in brooding, your chicks will be weak and die in 7-8 days or they will not be able to develop properly even if you use the right feed.
Just as the chicken gives heat to its chicks by keeping it under their feathers for some time, similarly the chicks have to be given temperature according to the need in the farm.
Brooding is done in many ways – with electric bulb, gas brooder, or with angithy/cigdi.
- Brooding with Bulbs
You need regular power for this type of brooding. 1 watt per chick is required in the summer month while 2 watts per chick is required in the winter month.
In summer month brooding is done for 4-5 days and in winter month brooding is required for 12-15 days. Place the brooder 6 inches above the litter in the first week of chicks and 10 to 12 inches above the litter in the second week.
- Brooding with Gas Brooder
Gas brooders are available in the market as per the requirement and capacity like 1000 and 2000 capacity brooders. A gas brooder is the best method of brooding, it keeps the temperature inside the shed uniform.
- Brooding with Fireplace
This is especially for those areas where electricity is not available or in places with severe power cuts. But it is very important to take care of this because it can also fill the shed with smoke or can also cause a fire.
Information about broiler chicken feed
There are 3 types of feeds required in broiler farming. This feed is given according to the age and weight of broiler chicks:-
- Pre-starter feed (for chicks up to 10 days old)
- Starter feed (for 11-20 days old broiler chicks)
- Finisher feed (21 days till the chicken is sold)
Drinking water for chickens
Broiler rooster drinks 2-3 liters of water after eating 1 kg of grain. Drinking water doubles in summer. The number of weeks of chick that will come after multiplying 2 in it, will only be consumed per 100 chicks of water, like –
- First week = 1 X 2 = 2 liters of water / 100 chicks
- 2nd week = 2 X 2 = 4 liters of water /100 chicks
How much space is required for one broiler chicken?
- 1st week – 1 sq ft/3 chicks
- 2nd week – 1 sq ft/2 chicks
- From 3rd week till 1 kg – 1 sq ft/1 chick
- 1 to 1.5 kg – 1.25 sq ft/1 chick
- 5 kg till sold -1.5 sq ft/1 chick
- When the chicks are placed in the right way, the development of the chicks is good and they are also protected from many types of diseases.
Light management in broiler farm
The chicks should be given light for 23 hours and the light should be switched off for one hour so that the chicks do not get scared even when it is dark. There should be no reduction in light for the first 2 weeks as it keeps the chicks stress-free and feeds the feed water well. The light of the shade should be gradually reduced. You must read this post goat farming near me.
Information on Broiler Chicks Management
- Clean the shed thoroughly 7-8 days before the chicks arrive. First, remove the spider webs thoroughly, only then clean the bottom. After that wash the floor thoroughly and mop it with a pick.
- After that, spray 3% formalin or any good disinfectant on the outside and inside of the shed and cover the curtains with both mesh sides.
- Spread a 3-4 inch thick layer of sawdust or litter on the floor 1-2 days before the chicks arrive. The litter should be completely new and dry.
- 24 hours before the arrival of the chicks, make a circular house with a tin sheet, whose diameter should be 3 meters for 250 chicks.
- Spread two layers of newspaper or paper over the sawdust inside that circular house.
- Completely close the shed 24 hours before the chicks hatch by dropping the curtains on both sides and turn on the bulb or brooder inside the shed so that the chicks get the right temperature (75oF) as soon as they arrive.
- Also, at the same time, keep water containers filled with water near the brooder. Mix electrolyte powder and potassium chloride in water. Also, read this post on how to start layer poultry farming.
- Remove the chicks from the chicks box as soon as possible. Too late can dehydrate the chicks and cause the chicks to die. Therefore, after leaving the chicks, give them water to drink for some time.
- After drinking water, put the corn porridge on the paper and in the grain vessel also give the corn porridge to eat for 6-8 hours. Only after that give the prestarter to eat.
- In the winter months, deliver the chicks to the farm in the morning or afternoon, never at night.
- Keep small and weak chicks separate from good chicks and give their feed water to them separately. This is because when weak chicks eat food or drink water with other chicks, healthy chicks crush the weak ones and they die. But if you find any kind of disease in some chicks, then keep them away from other healthy chicks at the same time.
- Proper medications and vaccinations are very essential for the proper development of chicks.
- Multivitamins, Vitamin C, and Lysine are more needed to reduce the stress and heat stress generated in the summer season.
- To prevent the generation of Ammonia from sawdust or litter inside the shed, once or twice a week sprinkle 1 kg 20 sq. ft. Chore in the litter and dig the sawdust/litter and reverse it. Due to this, the litter remains dry and ammonia cannot be produced. Please read here cattle and poultry feed manufacturing
- To purify water, add 6 grams of bleaching powder and 1 gram of potassium permanganate per 1000 liters of water.
- Do not use any type of antibiotic 3 days before and 3 days after vaccination, it destroys the potency of the vaccine. Also, do not mix any kind of sanitizer or bleaching powder in the water before and after 1 day. Give anti-stress vitamins like B-Complex, Lysine Vitamin things before and after vaccination.
- For any health-related discomfort in broiler chicks, immediately consult your nearest specialist.
Vaccination schedule in broiler chickens
Always vaccinate healthy chickens and give antibiotics to cure sick chickens.
Day Vaccine or Vaccine Name Method
- Within 6-7 days Lasota Vaccine/Ranikhet disease Lasota Vaccine/Ranikhet disease by instillation in eye or nose
- Within 10-12 days in cold or ice water, with milk or milk powder for Infectious Bursal Disease/Gumboro Infection
- Within 18-21 days Lasota Vaccine(intermediate) Booster Vaccine of Lasota Vaccine in cold or ice water, with milk or milk powder
- Booster Vaccine for Gumboro Disease Gumbo Binary within 24-30 days in cold or ice water, with milk or milk powder.
Biosecurity in broiler farm
- Keep the feed of broiler chicken in a clean dry place because when it becomes exposed and old, the grain gets moldy which is bad for the health of chicks and chickens.
- Do not allow outsiders near the farm and shed. This increases the risk of infection coming from outside on the farm.
- Spray pickling 3-4 times in a month outside and inside the shed.
- Stop the chicken dealer’s car away from the shed. On carrying the pass, there is a danger of the infection of another form coming in the form.
- Do not allow dogs, cats, rats, and outside birds inside the farm.
- Before entering the farm’s shed, put on your rubber boots and get inside by dipping in 3% formalin.
- Before moving from one shed to another, dip your rubber shoes again in 3% formalin or use different shoes per shed and wash hands thoroughly with soap.
- Keep chicks in the same shed according to their capacity, do not overcrowding. This increases diseases and makes cleaning difficult.
- After the sale of broiler chickens, do not throw the litter of the shed near the shed, dig them somewhere far away and bury them. You may read here – what is HSN code, and why it is important for GST.
How to take care of broiler chickens in the winter season?
- Pay attention to the following things in the winter season in broiler poultry farming –
- In the winter months, the chicks should be delivered in the morning, not in the evening or at night, because the cold increases in the evening.
- Keep the curtains of the shed covered 24 hours before the arrival of the chicks.
- The brooder should be turned on at least 2-4 hours before the arrival of the chicks.
- Keep the water already under the brooder, this will make the water a little hot.
- If the cold is more then you can also make the brooder windproof for some time by covering the small round shed with any polythene.
- First week – 90 degrees F – 95 degrees F
- Week 2 – Keep lowering the temperature by 5 degrees F daily until the chicks feel as cold as possible.
How to take care of broiler chickens in the summer month?
In Summer, pay attention to the following things in broiler poultry farming –
- Give water containing electrolyte powder as soon as the chicks reach the form. Give the chicks this water to drink for 5-6 hours.
- Use a proper number of water pots – 3-4 pots for 100 chicks.
- Give only corn porridge for 6-8 hours.
- Do not brood during the day.
- Keep filings 1.5-2 inches thick.
- Ventilation should be correct in the shed. Keep the curtains open both day and night.
- If possible, put sprinklers on the roof or put straw on the roof.
- To reduce the stress caused by heat, add vitamin C to the water.
Start selling chickens as soon as they reach 1-1.5 kg.
- Do not feed the chickens above 750 gm or raise the feeder from 10 am to 5 pm.
- Do not overcrowding, if possible, keep chickens 20 percent less than the capacity of the shed.
How to take care of broiler chickens in a rainy month?
Pay attention to the following things in the month of rain in broiler poultry farming –
- Give water containing electrolyte powder + potassium permanganate as soon as the chicks reach the form. Give the chicks this water to drink for 5-6 hours, after that give corn porridge for 6-8 hours and then pre-starter.
- Maintain the appropriate temperature of the brooder according to the season.
- Ventilation should be correct in the shed. Keep the curtains open both day and night, if there is a lot of rain, cover them.
- Do not allow water to accumulate inside the shed.
- Keep the thickness of filing 2-3 inches.
- Minimize movement inside the shed during the rainy season.
Hope you got the complete information about broiler poultry farming in this article.